Menopause is a natural phase of life when women’s estrogen levels begin to decline. However, this change in hormone levels can result in a variety of symptoms, such as hot flashes, mood swings, sleep problems and difficulty concentrating. Many women opt for natural treatment to relieve these symptoms.
1 – Herbal Remedies
Herbal remedies have been used for hundreds of years to relieve the common symptoms of menopause. Studies indicate these herbs can be helpful for some women:
- Black cohosh – Botanical name, Actaea racemosa, offers relieve from hot flashes and other menopause symptoms.
- Ginseng – Panax ginseng can help to improve concentration, increase energy and reduce mood swings.
- Dong Quai – Botanical name, Angelica sinensis, has been used in traditional Chinese medicine for over a thousand years for a variety of gynecological problems, including menopause discomfort.
- Red Clover – Red clover, Trifolium pratense, can help to reduce hot flashes that can occur during menopause.
- Evening Primrose Oil – Oenothera biennis, also called Evening Primrose, can help to relieve hot flashes of menopause.
2 – Exercise
Engaging in regular exercise can help to reduce many of the troublesome symptoms of menopause and improve strength and healthy muscle function. Many women find yoga helpful, with its structured breathing exercises and mindful focus on movements. However, any type of exercise you enjoy can help to reduce sleep problems, weight gain and mood swings. The important part is to engage in exercise on a regular basis to maintain better physical health and mental well being.
3 – Dietary Changes
Good nutrition can help to reduce symptoms and can improve general health for women during menopause. Consuming whole grains, lean meat and fish, omega-3 oils like olive oil and canola and plenty of vegetables and fruit reduce discomfort and improve physical health.
4 – Stress Management
Physical disruptions can affect the ability to deal with everyday stress. Active measures to manage this stress can help to reduce the severity of symptoms and allow individuals to feel more in control of their physical well being and their lives.
5 – Bioidentical Hormones
Bioidentical hormones are those that are compounded to be identical in molecular structure to women’s own bodies. These hormones can be made into pill, patch, capsule or cream form, to use as needed to relieve menopause symptoms.
If you are experiencing hot flashes, weight gain, mood swings or other problems, contact the Hotze Health and Wellness Center in Houston TX to discuss options for treating menopause symptoms.