What is IPL?
The Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) treatment is a medical treatment that utilizes high intensity polychromatic light to treat skin problems and to prevent the growth of hair. The treatment is non-invasive and totally painless. In the case of hair removal treatment, it uses high intensity of light to destroy the roots of the hair. This speaks for the accuracy and effectiveness of the treatment. Due to being a painless treatment, it does not require any sedative or aesthetic. It is completely safe and poses no threats of side effects. IPL is also used to treat skin problems such as acne or stretch marks. It uses a broad spectrum of light with varying wavelengths to avoid damaging the surrounding region of the skin. It is different from the laser treatment that uses monochromatic light. The varying wavelengths also enable the light to target a larger surface area at a time as compared to laser treatment that can only target a single hair follicle at a time due to monochromatic light.
How much does it cost?
The exact expenditure of the IPL hair removal Perth treatment varies. This is because it depends on a number of factors that ultimately add up to calculate the total cost of the treatment. These factors are differ from patient to patient and even from doctor to doctor.
- The size of treatment: It size of the area to be treated plays a significant role in estimating the total price of the treatment. This is because removal of hair from the upper lip requires a lesser amount of time than it takes to remove hair from the complete back.
- The number of treatments: Often IPL hair removal treatment requires follow-up sessions. The number of these sessions vary depending on the area being operated and, in some cases, the skin of the patient. The more the number of treatments required, the more the total cost of treatment.
- The need for anesthesia: Although IPL is considered to be a safe treatment and requires no sedatives, it still might feel pinching to some people who can use anesthesia to make the whole procedure completely numb. However, the inclusion of anesthesia will increase the overall bill.
- Medication: Lastly, the medication you need after the treatment will cost you some money. The medication depends on your doctor who prescribes according to your needs.
Benefits of IPL Hair Removal
Although there is a long list of reasons why more and more people are choosing to undergo the Intense Pulsed Light hair removal procedure, there are some top benefits of choosing this treatment for hair removal than the other conventional methods.
- Accuracy: The IPL treatment targets the hair follicles in their growing stage. This removes the possibility of hair growing from those pores again. The IPL treatment targets the root of hair which removes any chances of regrowth.
- Effectiveness: As mentioned before, the removal of root of hair makes this treatment surprisingly effective. Moreover, the broad spectrum of light removes the chances of missing any spot. This is often a problem in the case of shaving or waxing.
- Quick: The long-term results of IPL treatment save you those hours you spend weekly in shaving or waxing. The current lifestyle allows no room for those hours that you can put into better use. With IPL treatment, you actually can. This treatment can be done in a few minutes in a day and as a result, it will save you from spending hours waxing and shaving every week.
- Painless: Unlike the conventional methods of hair removal, IPL treatment is completely painless and needs no sedatives or aesthetics.
What happens in the treatment?
When you visit your dermatologist for hair removal appointment, your skin will be first checked to make sure it is suitable for this treatment. This is to ensure there will be no adverse reactions of the treatment. Also, at this stage, you need to discuss about any OTC medications you take.
On the day of the treatment, your skin will be first cleaned and wiped for the treatment. After that, an ultrasound gel will be applied on your skin. You will be required to wear protective glasses throughout the treatment. Once the targeted area is ready for treatment, the device will be used to throw the pulsed light on the target region. You will feel like the snap of a rubber band against your skin.