Alcohol addiction is caused by a number of reasons. Sometimes it is genetic predisposition and on other occasions it is caused due to depression, stress, emotional instability and social surroundings. There are a number of psychological symptoms that define alcohol addiction.
Adverse effects of alcohol addiction
Alcohol addiction always bears adverse effects on the drinker. It not only leads to pathetic medical conditions but degrades respect in the society drastically. The person has to deal with lots of abuse and ignorance. It even affects his family, colleagues and friends adversely. The alcohol addict is even outcast. The poor medical conditions lead to gastrointestinal damage of the system. Apart from this liver, pancreas, heart, blood and nervous system are severely affected too. Alcoholic dementia, neuropathy, epilepsy and sexual dysfunction are some other conditions caused by alcohol addiction.
Signs and symptoms stating alcohol addiction:
- The person has a poor health. He suffers from chronic diarrhea, has a yellowish skin tone and fluid gets retained in his abdomen.
- They drink secretively and lie about it. No matter even if they drink too much, they show as if they have drunken less. Due to their demeanor, it is hard to spot their nature.
- Alcohol addicts abuse almost everything they possess. They ease negative feelings by playing the blame game temporarily and risking their life in the long run. They use alcohol as an emotional crunch on all occasions whether they had a stressful day or had a celebration.
- They drink to a level that nothing retains in their memory. This is another red flag that states that they are getting closer to alcohol addiction. Hence it is suggested that never black out to be amused, instead try to find out the real reason of drinking.
- If one fails to stop after starting drinking, this again indicates obsession. One should stop after a drink or two. Never think of finishing the bottle.
- If the person has a strong craving to drink on unusual hours of the day like before work, before driving, against the doctor’s order and likewise, it again points that he is an addict. Even if everything is going good in life he still takes the risk of serious consequences. It strongly implies that alcohol has become priority of his life.
- When alcohol starts impacting the day to day life and the consumer starts neglecting household responsibilities or issues at work, ensure that alcohol has penetrated its root deep in life.
- When significant relations with family and friends have spoiled, then the addict should understand that they have started giving more importance to alcohol than relations.
- If the person’s tolerance for drink is increased than normal, then it states that his body demands alcohol regularly.
- Besides, if he starts feeling depressed, irritable, and anxious, has nausea or trouble sleeping, loses his appetite and his hands or legs tremble, it’s high time to become alert.