Inflammation is a problem that affects most of the people nowadays. This article gives you an idea of foods that can reduce inflammation in the body.
When there is an inflammation, chemicals from the white blood cells are released into the blood or affected tissues. The release of chemicals will raise the blood flow to the area of infection, and it leads to pain, redness, and swelling. Inflammation in the body is related to heart disease, arthritis, and other chronic diseases. There are several foods that reduce inflammation naturally. Consume a diet with fresh fruits, vegetables, whole grains, lean proteins, and low-fat dairy. Within few weeks after consuming these anti-inflammatory foods, you may notice the difference. Along with medication, it is better to take these foods that reduce inflammation.
A list of foods that reduce inflammation
- Fish is one of the ideal foods that reduce inflammation. It is a safer alternative when compared to red meat, which triggers cholesterol and inflammation. Include a lot of salmon and tuna in your diet as it is rich in omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, which are excellent anti-inflammatory foods.
- Green leafy vegetables are also great anti-inflammatory foods. You can include more vegetables like collard greens, broccoli, kale and spinach in your diet for this reason.
- Pineapple contains bromelain, which makes it one of the excellent foods that reduce inflammation.
- The resveratrol contained in grapes, mulberries and cranberries has excellent antioxidant properties, which can help to reduce inflammation.
- Add spices like ginger and turmeric in your diet as they have excellent anti-inflammatory properties. Make it a part of your stir-fries, smoothies, sauces or tea. Ginger supplements are also good for inflammation but consume it before consulting a physician.
- Tomatoes are rich in lycopene, which can reduce inflammation in the body. Cooked tomatoes contain more lycopene than raw tomatoes. Bell peppers contain capsaicin, a chemical that reduces pain and inflammation.
- Isoflavones found in soy products helps to lower the inflammation levels in women. It will also minimize the adverse effects of inflammation in bone and heart health. Tofu and soy milk is good for inflammation.
- Nuts like almonds and walnuts contain alpha-linolenic acid, a type of omega-3 fat, which reduces inflammation to a great extent.
- Beetroot is one of the foods that reduce inflammation. Carrot is also rich in vitamin A and beta-carotene, which helps to fight inflammation.
- Onions contain anti-inflammatory chemical like phytonutrient quercetin. Garlic also helps to fight inflammation to a great extent.
- Include more vitamin-rich fruits in the diet like lemon, and orange.
- Have whole grains it is also good for dealing with inflammation.
- Always make sure to use healthy oils like extra virgin olive oil as it contains a compound called oleocanthal that minimizes inflammation.
- Include anti-inflammatory foods like flaxseeds, pumpkin seeds, legume, and nuts in your diet.
What to avoid if you have inflammation?
- Reduce the intake of saturated and unsaturated fats.
- Avoid fried, refined and processed food items and consume more anti-inflammatory foods.
- Cut down your drinking and smoking habits.
- Avoid everyday food items like bacon, eggs, and dairy products to prevent inflammation.
- Reduce the amount of salt in any food that you consume.
- Control the intake of Omega 6 fatty acids and refined carbohydrates.
- Avoid white flour baked foods, sodas and include more anti-inflammatory foods in your diet.
It is said that prevention is better than cure. If you opt for foods that reduce inflammation, then you don’t have to regret in the future. Following a strict diet plan and maintaining a healthy exercise regime will help to avoid chances of having inflammation.